Wednesday

L for Love, L for...

Over the years I have claimed to be too many things lined with sadness and wrapped in clever. Over the years I have made assumptions, accusations.

We're all trying to find our way, but I want to throw out the road map.
Don't make me laugh by asking to stop for directions.
I have to make everything a little more complicated than I should.

So I think that could be why you sat with me and tried to convince my sad eyes that it would all be the same or even better. I love you for that.
I can't say that I believed it, even in our drunken state, but it made the alcohol a little easier to swallow.
And that's what we both needed on a night that shouldn't end, like a three year long tradition and a funny saying I'm much too eager to share.

You said it's more romantic this way; the distance and the journey keeping us apart.
You're a hopeless romantic for things like white fences and acres.
I said you can only handle me in small doses.
I'm a hopeful cynic for things like pushing you away and friendship.

Maybe I'll never understand the way you look at the world.
Maybe you'll never see the person I'm trying to become.
There is a distinct possibility that we have nothing in common.

But I know the look in your eyes when you listen to good song, and that counts.
I know you always take an extra long drag before passing the cigarette, and that matters.
You know that I will always want what I can't have, that is the truth.
You know when I chain smoke because I can't shake those words, and that's something.
I know you, and maybe it's only the way that you've shown me, but I believe it to be more, and that's everything.

I've lost enough to make it about me and I will always be the most selfish with you.
So give me one more night, that I haven't earned.
Because I will spend a lifetime making it up to you, so I can keep you.

It's not that easy for you to lose me xoxo